Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Notes from my Knapsack 2-4-21

Notes from my Knapsack 2-4-21
Jeff Gill

Waiting my turn
___


My wife and I are thankful that our respective parents in Indiana, her dad and my mom, are now vaccinated, or will be by the time this hits print.  They both have gotten their first shots, and second shots are set up. Now, we wait on getting our own.

I'm also thankful that I have been a regular blood donor for many years, creeping up on 15 gallons here in a few months. This means every 60 days I get a COVID test, and I've been negative thus far, one time I like being called a negative sort of guy. Between us, we've had a scattering of official and work-related tests that have confirmed for us that we've been able to stay clear of the virus, while doing what needs to be done.

But we're also just young enough (a phrase neither of us has much occasion to use!) to not be on any of the criteria for getting scheduled soon for the COVID vaccine. And may not until towards the end of this thing. Word out of Washington and the state of Ohio is that we might need to wait until the end of May until we'd be unambiguously candidates for our shots.

That means we wait, and watch, and listen. The various cases are made for who should be "next," and I'll admit we have plenty of discussions at home about the relative ethics and practicalities of which group or demographic should be versus what is. Opinions? We have a few.

In general, I think everyone is doing the best they can, and as long as our elderly parents are protected, I'm willing to wait. I'm also going to be as quick to say yes as I could possibly be if someone offers. If one of those "hey, we have a couple extra defrosted and our appointments are all done and you're just walking by" situations comes up, oh yeah, I will roll up a sleeve and say "hit me!" What I don't want to do is work angles to sneak in early if we're still struggling to get shots lined up for those who need and want them.

The situation I hope to avoid, though, is getting my turn soon because so many who are, with reasons and rights in line in front of me, say "nope, won't let them inject that into me." No one thought this would be 100% willingness from the outset, but the numbers of care center staff and front line workers who are declining have surprised the Governor, policy makers, and me. 

Don't want to be a guinea pig? Hey, after the first million, who's the guinea pig? My mom? The person working down the linefrom you who said yes when you said no? I think the testing is done, and the results are clear. These vaccines are as safe as anything you'd buy in the produce or snack food sections at the grocery store. And honestly, if it means I have to wait longer, I am happy to, if it means more people who need the vaccine sooner say yes to receiving it. Don't take a pass on it on my account. Make me wait.

Jeff Gill is a writer, storyteller, and preacher in central Ohio; he's been patient, on occasion, but not consistently. Tell him how you wait productively at knapsack77@gmail.com or follow @Knapsack on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment