Sunday, June 07, 2009

An online bonus to the Granville Sentinel piece set for this Wed./Thur., June 10/11, 2009, a short scene from just a little further on in Rev. James B. Finley's autobiography, just after Nov. 1810 --

"During this round I made an attempt to preach in the town of Newark. This place was notorious for its wickedness; and, as no house was opened for me, I was obliged to preach in the bar-room of a tavern. Fearing the citizens would cut my saddle, or shave my horse, I hid him in the bushes. When I stepped into the door I found the room full; and many were crowded around the bar, drinking. It looked to me more like the celebration of a bacchanalian orgie, than a place for the worship of God. But I had made an appointment ; and I must fill it at all hazards; and, as the Gospel was to be preached to every creature, my mission extended to every place this side of hell. I procured a stool, and, placing it beside the door, got upon it, and cried out, at the top of my voice, "Awake, thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee life."

[Finley ended up preaching in the new log courthouse, and formed a Newark class meeting in 1811.]

No comments:

Post a Comment